Monday 27 July 2009

Change


How to talk to a Judge? I can safely say I now know. This was no mean feat. The bf can't stand the traditional aspect of the Bar and sees no reason why we cannot speak in plain English. ....I digress......



In the advocacy assessment of last month, we had to prepare and give submissions on an interim payment. I left feeling happy and was quite shocked that I received a result that would have equalled the smile on my face after I left the assessment room. I passed the Advocacy assessment and can safely say that this is one of my favourite subjects and one I think I do my best in. Some people say that Advocacy is a bit like acting. There are merits in this, however, whenever I am "up" I feel like I am the mouthpiece for the client and that the points I have should be addressed, noted and agreed with. The is the stance I have in my head whenever I am "up" and I hope this assists me. I got a good grade, one of those ones that you feel proud telling your parents.... Dad has now resorted to advising me that when I start making "grands" not to forget him. He of great faith.



Life has been quite busy since the end of the BVC. The "restructure" prime facie ( I love this phrase!) sought to retain skills and knowledge within the department, save money, elect higher management, restructure and "streamline" the department, but if office gossip is to be believed, assist a particular individual to perhaps not take up the post offered upon restructure. One day, at work, expecting to see this person, and you would never believe it, they were not there. Sick, I say, Sick as...well individual didn't say what made them sick, individual called again and requested to take annual leave. One only take annual leave in an LA if they need to. That is what flexible working is all about.....individual took the annual leave owed to them and "puff, be gone" just like that genie in "I love Lucy" The rudest thing was that a leaving card appeared before the Whoosh. Some of the team took it quite well considering, others were none too impressed by the execution of the "restructure" To all intents and purposes, individual was a nice individual , perhaps not best suited to the chemical make up of the superiors that governed. So we fast- forward to working without individual, and where I thought it would be a bit weird, it hasn't been really. As they say, Life goes on. I think individual will be back, like a scorpion to sting someone. Work is busy, plenty of work to do, less politricks and I am easing myself into an organised phase. Feels good. Disorganised was good too. Chaos is good, it helps the mind filter out the chaff.



In this filtering mode, I decided I needed to focus on the money raising aspect of life. I applied for a Criminal Paralegal role, I am still waiting. They have advised "if you do not hear from us, due to the number of applications we receive we may not be able to respond. Please take it that you have been unsuccessful" Well how long a gap does one leave? I have not heard anything from them as yet.



ensuring that the application I sent off was a good move, I ran the idea by the supervisor who agreed to assist with PSRAS. He said "Wot, you need a job, you neva said. Come and see me" So I did. I went to see him last Friday. The following Thursday, I started work with him as a Criminal Paralegal. Well, I was ecstatic. The firm is a high street firm, extremely busy, full of politricks but small enough for me to obtain a hands on approach to Criminal Law. The Boss started me off with reading cases. The first case was a LA case, so this one was a doddle and I felt proud that I had told him something new about this particular aspect of law. The second was an individual who had 23 Counts against themselves. I read the Witness Statement of one individual and realised that the job I will eventually do, will always leave someone unhappy. I had the task of considering evidence. I have not done this before, so I hope the attempt I handed in to the Boss was good enough. If it wasn't I hope the Boss tells me what was wrong and how to fix it. The office space is tight, the stationary cupboard is bare, I feel sorry for them. But I have a good feeling about working for this firm and the opportunities it may lead to. At least they will instruct me!



So, I still work for the LA, I paralegal part time for a firm that seems to be clinging on but is vibrant, busy, and will afford me an opportunity to hone my craft. Boss seems to be genuine in his offer of assistance, this helps. I await the result of a written police station exam I took earlier this month. I have to pass this now, failing it will make me look like a big fat twit at the split between two partners firm. Partner does look a bit Ford Dodge though. It's in his eyes. Boss is charming and would have made for good TV, but you can also see he has a genuine desire to practice law, properly and justly. This is all I want and I am looking forward to this ride.



Oh, and the fact that the team haas been paid late on occasion has not made me want to run, so let's see how this pans out.



I have yet to save any extra money, nor read any of my materials for September, but this week will change that.



Until the next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment